Wooden rug making or weaving frame. With note to Bruce Komusin dated 30 March 2006. "This frame was given to Irene Bartlett by Louise Sorenson (Barbara Brooks' sister) 1960s or 70s (along with lots of wool) when she was clearing things out of the house. If you can use it at the new Historical Center and/or your craft demonstration/fundraiser I would love to donate it to the center. Frances [Bartlett]"
Description: Wooden rug making or weaving frame. With note to Bruce Komusin dated 30 March 2006. "This frame was given to Irene Bartlett by Louise Sorenson (Barbara Brooks' sister) 1960s or 70s (along with lots of wool) when she was clearing things out of the house. If you can use it at the new Historical Center and/or your craft demonstration/fundraiser I would love to donate it to the center. Frances [Bartlett]"
Description: Record player. Portable, hand-crank Victrola. Tan snakeskin-like exterior, metal arm. Turntable speed control marked Birch. No other markings on it.
Rug, braided, oval; starting in the center, predominantly green, brown, and orange patterned loops grow larger, then the colors change to blue, pink, brown, and red, culminating in a black border; colors in each loop change even within the loop; the fourth and fifth loops from the outside have become disconnected, and several other loops are loose.
Description: Rug, braided, oval; starting in the center, predominantly green, brown, and orange patterned loops grow larger, then the colors change to blue, pink, brown, and red, culminating in a black border; colors in each loop change even within the loop; the fourth and fifth loops from the outside have become disconnected, and several other loops are loose.
Jugs. Two ceramic jugs. (A): large, white with four blue floral designs; wide mouth chipped inside the rim and inside on the bottom, efflorescence on the outside bottom perhaps from water stored inside leaking through the chipped glazing and affecting the inner ceramic. (B) is a large white pitcher with similar floral patterns.
Description: Jugs. Two ceramic jugs. (A): large, white with four blue floral designs; wide mouth chipped inside the rim and inside on the bottom, efflorescence on the outside bottom perhaps from water stored inside leaking through the chipped glazing and affecting the inner ceramic. (B) is a large white pitcher with similar floral patterns.
Three-legged base for a 'walking' or 'great' spinning wheel. Base was originally from the attic of the Scudder house on the north shore of Islesford. Head is termed a 'minor' head made of wood and iron; it came from the donor's wheel in Sullivan, Maine. Donor is a spinner and weaver, and lectures about heritage textiles. She noticed GCIHS had a wheel with no base in collection (GCIHS 2015.312.2072). The two parts married up perfectly. Wheel dates to ca. 1880s; Shakers made this type of great wheel.
Description: Three-legged base for a 'walking' or 'great' spinning wheel. Base was originally from the attic of the Scudder house on the north shore of Islesford. Head is termed a 'minor' head made of wood and iron; it came from the donor's wheel in Sullivan, Maine. Donor is a spinner and weaver, and lectures about heritage textiles. She noticed GCIHS had a wheel with no base in collection (GCIHS 2015.312.2072). The two parts married up perfectly. Wheel dates to ca. 1880s; Shakers made this type of great wheel. [show more]
Wheel from a 'walking' a.k.a. 'great' spinning wheel. Smooth wooden wheel, 45" diameter with brass core in hub of wheel. Rusted nail heads visible where wood overlaps on exterior of wheel and also where several spokes meet the wheel. No other parts of this walking wheel have been located. (It may have come from the Liebow house originally.) This wheel was installed on a 2018 donation of a spinning wheel base from Islesford that fits perfectly.
Description: Wheel from a 'walking' a.k.a. 'great' spinning wheel. Smooth wooden wheel, 45" diameter with brass core in hub of wheel. Rusted nail heads visible where wood overlaps on exterior of wheel and also where several spokes meet the wheel. No other parts of this walking wheel have been located. (It may have come from the Liebow house originally.) This wheel was installed on a 2018 donation of a spinning wheel base from Islesford that fits perfectly. [show more]
Small, wooden, four-legged flax spinning wheel with flat table, grooved wheel. "FARNHAM Near Owego" impressed into base. This four-legged wheel is missing part(s). [Note: http://collections.mohistory.org/resource/198156.html says Joel Farnhan was a wheelwright and cabinet maker who moved from PA to Owego NY in 1794.By the 1820s he had a well-established milling and wheelwright business which passed on to his youngest son Frederick, who began producing his own wheels by the 1840s.]
Description: Small, wooden, four-legged flax spinning wheel with flat table, grooved wheel. "FARNHAM Near Owego" impressed into base. This four-legged wheel is missing part(s). [Note: http://collections.mohistory.org/resource/198156.html says Joel Farnhan was a wheelwright and cabinet maker who moved from PA to Owego NY in 1794.By the 1820s he had a well-established milling and wheelwright business which passed on to his youngest son Frederick, who began producing his own wheels by the 1840s.] [show more]
Rug. Green and beige crab motif. Hooked, wool, sheared on burlap, 29.5" x 64.5". Made on Cranberry Isles 1902-1905. One of two similar rugs from same donor. (See 2005.138.2026 dog-motif rug.) Donor states her sister recovered this rug from the storage shed at their parents' house in New Hampshire after reading the Bangor Daily News article about her earlier donation of the dog-motif rug; and that this rug was repaired in the same manner as that rug, but is in much better condition. This rug lacks the CR monogram that was usually worked into one corner or on the selvage at the back of rugs that were made specifically by the Cranberry Island Club rug makers at the turn of the century. But it likely shares the provenance of the dog-motif rug described by its donor and its connection to Miriam P. Reynolds of Northeast Harbor and her family's New Hampshire connection. From "Bulletin of the Bureau of Labor", #55 (Nov. 1904), pp 1573-1622, the article "The Revival of Handicrafts in America." by Max West, Ph. D. states: Cranberry Islanders ".... were already familiar with the process of hooking rugs; and they were fortunate in having the benefit of the initiative, moral support, and financial backing of Mrs. Seth Low, Miss Miriam P. Reynolds, and one or two other New York women whose summer homes are at Northeast Harbor, as well as in obtaining the aid of capable designers. The industry was started on a small scale in the autumn of 1901, under the supervision of Miss Amy Mali Hicks, a designer identified with the arts and crafts movement in New York City, who designed the patterns and gave instruction in dyeing, etc. ..." (See also "Three Centuries of Hooking, Mount Desert Island Historical Society, 2009, p. 20-21.)
Description: Rug. Green and beige crab motif. Hooked, wool, sheared on burlap, 29.5" x 64.5". Made on Cranberry Isles 1902-1905. One of two similar rugs from same donor. (See 2005.138.2026 dog-motif rug.) Donor states her sister recovered this rug from the storage shed at their parents' house in New Hampshire after reading the Bangor Daily News article about her earlier donation of the dog-motif rug; and that this rug was repaired in the same manner as that rug, but is in much better condition. This rug lacks the CR monogram that was usually worked into one corner or on the selvage at the back of rugs that were made specifically by the Cranberry Island Club rug makers at the turn of the century. But it likely shares the provenance of the dog-motif rug described by its donor and its connection to Miriam P. Reynolds of Northeast Harbor and her family's New Hampshire connection. From "Bulletin of the Bureau of Labor", #55 (Nov. 1904), pp 1573-1622, the article "The Revival of Handicrafts in America." by Max West, Ph. D. states: Cranberry Islanders ".... were already familiar with the process of hooking rugs; and they were fortunate in having the benefit of the initiative, moral support, and financial backing of Mrs. Seth Low, Miss Miriam P. Reynolds, and one or two other New York women whose summer homes are at Northeast Harbor, as well as in obtaining the aid of capable designers. The industry was started on a small scale in the autumn of 1901, under the supervision of Miss Amy Mali Hicks, a designer identified with the arts and crafts movement in New York City, who designed the patterns and gave instruction in dyeing, etc. ..." (See also "Three Centuries of Hooking, Mount Desert Island Historical Society, 2009, p. 20-21.) [show more]
Rug. Braided with hooked center element. Concentric rings of browns, blacks, and greens with pale blue, red, and maroon flowers in hooked center square. Reverse side of rug has patch of brown cotton fabric with coral and beige flower decoration 16.5 x 17" serving as backing for the hooked flowers. Edges badly worn. Hole by the maroon flower. Some separation between the concentric braided rings.
Description: Rug. Braided with hooked center element. Concentric rings of browns, blacks, and greens with pale blue, red, and maroon flowers in hooked center square. Reverse side of rug has patch of brown cotton fabric with coral and beige flower decoration 16.5 x 17" serving as backing for the hooked flowers. Edges badly worn. Hole by the maroon flower. Some separation between the concentric braided rings.